In November we introduced a new software called TaxCaddy to all of our tax clients. Now that tax filing season has begun, we thought it would be helpful to provide a few tips and tricks to using TaxCaddy to organize your tax information:
- If you are using TaxCaddy on your computer, be sure to use the Chrome or Firefox browser, as it will work much better with these browsers. If you don't have either of those browsers, click the links to install them on your computer.
- We sent some pages of the organizer to everyone as fillable documents in TaxCaddy. You don't need to fill these out, but some clients requested this feature so feel free to use them if you'd like. You simply view the document, then write directly in the document, then click on "Mark as Reviewed".
- You might have access to electronic copies of your tax documents online or by email. If so, you can download these to a folder on your computer. Once you have them on your computer, simply drag the documents to the green section of the TaxCaddy website or click on that green section and a folder will open up where you can search for the document on your computer. Alternatively, you can go through the requested items list and hover over each item, then click the 3 bars on the right and then the "upload" button to attach the documents directly to the request.
- TaxCaddy has a great free app that you can download for your phone or tablet and there is an Apple version and an Android version). Try downloading it and be sure to enable notifications so we can communicate with you through the app. This is what it looks like in the app store:
- For one page or other short documents, try using the scanning feature in the app, which uses your phone's camera to take a high quality picture of the document and uploads it directly to us through TaxCaddy. Click on “+ Add a Document” on the top of the home screen and then select “Take a Photo”. Here's what it looks like in the app on your phone:
- For larger documents, if you can't access them electronically and only have a paper copy, feel free to mail them to us and we will scan them and add them to your TaxCaddy folder for you. You might also consider purchasing a scanner, which you can get for under $200. In today's digital age, having a good scanner at home is even more important than having a printer!
- Don't forget to add your spouse to your account so you both have access. Simply click on your name in the top right of the website, click on "settings", then "Additional User Account". Enter your spouse's name and e-mail address and click "Send Invitation".
- Use the "Messages" section to send us additional information or ask us specific questions about your tax documents. This is more secure than using email and it also ensure that these notes are included in your tax file so we don't miss anything when preparing your returns. To start a new message click the + icon on the right of "Message Threads".
- When you are done adding documents, make sure to click on the "Done Uploading" button in the Documents section. This will let us know it's time to prepare your returns. If you aren't sure if you are done yet, just send us a message through the messages section or shoot us an e-mail.
We know that new software can be a challenge and we are here to assist you however we can. Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have questions.
-Chris Benson, CPA, PFS
The views expressed represent the opinions of L.K. Benson & Company and are subject to change. These views are not intended as a forecast, a guarantee of future results, investment recommendation, or an offer to buy or sell any securities. The information provided is of a general nature and should not be construed as investment advice or to provide any investment, tax, financial or legal advice or service to any person.Please see Additional Disclosures more information.